How to Choose a Comfortable Heel

How to Choose a Comfortable Heel


Heels are a popular type of footwear that can add height, sophistication, and elegance to any outfit. They come in a wide variety of styles, from classic pumps to trendy block heels, making it easy to find the perfect pair to suit your personal style.

"I will literally be the old women who lived in her shoes"
~Carrie Bradshaw


In this post, we will delve into the strategy of selecting a heel that not only looks beautiful but also provides optimal comfort. We will provide useful tips and insights to help you find the perfect pair of heels that combine style and comfort.

Anatomy of Heels

Understanding the anatomy of shoes is crucial when it comes to knowing what to look for. It's essential to familiarize yourself with the terminology associated with different parts of a shoe to make informed decisions and ensure optimal comfort and style. By knowing the various components and their functions, you can navigate the world of footwear with confidence and find the perfect pair that meets your needs and preferences.

Pitch of Heel

This dimension is the distance between the bottom of the shoe and the heel tip. The greater the distance, the more comfortable your foot will feel in the shoe. The pitch of the heel decreases with a steeper shank; in other words, the further the toe of the shoe is located from the heel, the more comfortable your feet will feel. If you struggle to choose between two pairs of similar heels, go for the shoe with the greater pitch heel. Your feet will thank you!

Height of Heel

Although 4 or 5-inch heels deliver all the positives in aesthetics (lean, long, sculpted legs), they are typically the worst for your comfort and foot health. According to (Strive Psychology) anything up to a 3-inch heel height is best to avoid changing the biomechanics of your walk. You may say that if you’re investing in iconic heels such as Jimmy Choo or Valentino, heel height is EVERYTHING. That is true, but remember that balance shifts with a higher heel. Thereby causing abnormal forces on parts of your foot, which leads to discomfort.  Try using the 10/90 rule. Wear gorgeous ankle-twisting heels 10% of the time and your reasonable shoes the other 90%.

Thickness of Heel

Yes, great question. The skinnier the heel (ex., stilettos), the more uncomfortable the shoe. The reason is balance. It’s harder for your body to adjust and balance in a skinny heel versus a thicker one. Opting for the thicker heel will allow you to walk further.

Material plays a significant role also. Leather moulds your foot better with time, provides comfort and reduces irritation. According to footfiles, shoes made from materials such as plastic and vinyl are harder to break in and are more likely to cause blistering, rubbing and discomfort. Try choosing leather, suede, or vegan faux leather so the shoe moulds better to your foot.

Shoe Size

Ensure you’re wearing the right size of shoe. If the shoe is too small, it will cause discomfort. According to footfiles, you can do a finger test. There should be a finger-width distance between your longest toe and the front edge of the shoe. The extra space will give your toes room to move and avoid them being crammed. It’s important to remember that different shoe designers may have slightly different shoe sizes. So when in doubt, go with the finger test.

The Secret Revealed

We are going to let you in on a secret…. there is a shoe designer, Marion Parke, a former podiatric surgeon. She invented patent-pending technology for a comfortable heel. The design of her shoes doesn’t take away from their aesthetic appeal. Her shoes are made in Italy, where all the gorgeous luxury designer shoes were born.

If you’re looking for footwear that boasts of good quality, stunning design, and undeniable cuteness, then these heels definitely deserve a spot on your radar. With their exceptional craftsmanship, fashionable appeal, and versatile design, these heels are simply irresistible and a must-have for any shoe lover.

In conclusion, there is a method to the madness when it comes to buying heels, and by reading this post, you are now equipped to make informed decisions when purchasing them. With a deeper understanding of the factors to consider, such as comfort, style, and heel height, you are well on your way to selecting the perfect pair of heels that will meet your needs and elevate your fashion game.
Don't forget to sign up and become a VIP member to receive exclusive style content delivered straight to your inbox. 
Back to blog
1 of 3